12.23.2008

The Nibbler

Check out this insane custom sent over to us by the infamous Tarantulas of the UK. With 6 access points and a nasty appetite, "The Nibbler" has come to take a chunk out of the Glyos System! Take a look at what The Tarantulas has to say about his latest creation below.

Facts & Illustration Backstory

The Nibbler
Age - Approx 7000
Physical Strength - 3
Special Powers - 9
Weapons - 7

In the abstraction of galactic consciousness the diminutive, gnawing Nibbler increases his physical size a million fold to snack on spicy planetary systems.

Exploiting the infinite potential of thought, mysterious cosmic traveller Pheyden uses the same trick but instead duplicates his material form a million times. Bloated by over indulgence, the Nibbler is overwhelmed by the swarming collective of Pheyden and shrivels to normal size...

Nibbler Rational

If I was to create one new piece for the Glyos system I wanted it to be versatile & have more than one use.. Plus I was into torso-head type characters like Modok and Arnim Zola. I'd noticed that the features of a torso - chest & abdominal muscles could easily represent a face - this was the starting point. The sculpt hopefully works both as the Nibblers head & also as a beefy torso for any Glyos figure, hence double arm holes and a hole in the top of his head. As a companion to the figure I created an artwork showing Pheyden battling the Nibbler.. Since Jack Kirby is both creator of aforementioned 'torso-heads' and a continuing inspiration, I aped his style for the piece.

The Tarantulas

Toward the end of a decade plus at Hasbro I started working as The Tarantulas - now like many others I'm balancing art projects with corporate freelance work. Its a familiar situation but the projects I'm working on currently - from commercial toy work to TV formats to sculpture - are so diverse I feel like I need to focus ! Since leaving Hasbro I've tended to prefer working in 2D - a reaction to designing 3D for so long..but I've recently started playing around with sculpting (thanks to Matt ) so I'm having fun with that. My work is influenced by a lot of the same stuff as everyone else.. Star Wars, Jack Kirby, EC Comics and so many people around today. I think a lot of us are trying to find our own style & shrug off the influence of the 80's. Next for the Tarantulas? More sculpting - hopefully more toy releases & some cash so I can move out again!

Huge thanks to The Tarantulas for sending over such a cool character with so much thought put into the design and execution. We're humbled to have this little guy sitting on our desk.


5 comments:

  1. I like it, it's Glyos filtered through Evan Dorkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird how much the style, for lack of a better term, "clashes" with the typical Glyos look, and yet works so well alongside it. And the comic panel really does give-off that Kirby feel -- now I'm all nostalgic.

    As a side note: definitely digging the retro-robo wing sculpt there. Actually, it'd be kinda cool if "backpacks" would wind-up a feature like the blaster arms. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn man, you don't think there will be an update when you click the site each night, but then you get this. Wow. Nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the photos reveals
    an elbow bent at 90 degrees.
    That's the arm for karate chops :P

    Sweet custom! It's nice to see
    some of the thought process
    a designer goes through to
    reach a specific design. Thanks
    for posting the sketches,
    illustration, and The Tarantulas!'s
    thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude thats why Cool! thats a awesome MOd!
    Makes me totally want to try that.
    Although I have this terrible habbit of wanting to not damage my figures (i always worry about making mistakes).
    Thats why I give you total respect cause it turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete