3.09.2010

Kaiju Comrades 2

>Mark Nagata is finally ready to unleash Kaiju Comrades Part 2 on the population of Japan this week! The roster for this show is very eclectic, featuring an international selection of artists that were tasked with bringing their dream monster to life. Check out the Kaiju Comrades website for details and updates.

The beast that we brought forth for this project is based on Nagata's very own gigantic potato creature, Eyezon! I personally really like Eyezon and always wanted to see what he may look after some time in the Glyos System. I call this guy Zoneye, in honor of Mark's core design and fantastic creativity.

The process to put this guy together was our standard approach. I made a rough drawing, went to the shop and showed Ron. He made an awesome buck with moving parts that I then butchered with a dremel, blade and chisel. Added some compound and then more shaping and the inevitable infinite sanding. Cleaned the final sculpt and then primed it. Next came a blast of silver coating followed by an assault of washes and detailing. The mechanical spud was then dry brushed like crazy and the eyes were sealed with clear coat.

I literally only got to take a few pictures and he was off to Japan for the Friday opening. We really wanted to make some molds and pour off some urethane copies. Maybe if Zoneye returns home we can do that... in the meantime something else is nearing completion.

Thanks go out to Mark Nagata for letting us be part of another fun project! Good luck in Japan Mark!

11 comments:

  1. I shot-off a string of obscenities when I saw this.

    Holy mother of god in a sidecar with a side of chocolate jimmys and a lobster bib, Matt, that thing is freggin' intense! The eye on the "palm" is inspired, the stacks on top and the left arm give it this weird "organic machine" feel, and the whole feel of the piece is dripping with power.

    Honestly, Matt, this might be one of my favorite customs you've posted to the blog, right up there with Hermit's "home." Whatever it takes to help make sure this guy gets back for molding, I'm on freggin' board. This is a perfect translation of the sculpt to the Glyos aesthetic, and it deserves to be shared with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I agree, I will definitely buy this if given the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats nuts man. How large is that thing! If somehow someway Zoneye doesn't get sold in Japan please please please make some molds and cast some! I wouldn't hesitate to buy at least one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzaa Matt Zoneye is super tough lookin, he looks like he could take on an army!!

    I'm with the other guys, if there is any way you can get a run of these done I would deffnately want one.

    Even an uncleaned up resin kit with no paint that I had to put together myself would be great infact that may even be better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O_O Now THAT is pretty freaking cool. I too am curious how tall it is, but great work Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! Updated the photos with a scale shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it was made to come apart at the waist you could have an alternate armodoc head (granted the head would have arms but that mite not be a bad thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's crazy good! I always liked Eyezon, but this makes my eyes roll back in my head. Did you sketch up the designs for this guy, or just kinda sculpt it up first? It looks incredibly well thought-out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow... I really hope you can make some molds of that... it's sweet... wonder how it would fare against Armodoc

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone here. Zoneye is the $#it!! Want one as well if we get a chance!!

    ReplyDelete