7.22.2013

The Original Program

Yesterday (7/21) was a special day over here, as it marked a couple of anniversaries for our family. The first one was for the 11th year Michelle and I have been married (15 together), and the second one was for our 6th year of selling full production Glyos figures.

To celebrate our survival on both accounts, we have put together a small, but very special release for this Sunday, July 28th at 9:30PM EST.

After more than a decade since their original designs were doodled by two goofs in a Saturn dealership, Noboto and Gobon will finally be available as a duo -in their Monsters VS Robots "Standard" colors from Michelle's original 2007 Sidrick comic to boot!

Michelle, Marcus and I have been very excited to share these figures, as nailing the hues for this Mini Anniversary Wave took a lot of back and forth between all of us. We really wanted to achieve just the right "butter", "pistachio" and "caramel' mix (thanks for the gastronomic descriptions Ralpho!).

Over the years we have tried to develop a specific color palette for our "Standard" characters, one that hopefully defines each character in a memorable way. Noboto's specific MVR Standard colors were decided back in 2007, when Michelle rolled out her second Sidrick comic, which featured the MVR cast causing grief throughout the pages. Michelle's comic also locked in how Gobon would be colored for what we thought would be its Standard look. Eventually Gobon was changed to silver for its first release, but Michelle and I have always seen the big bongo as yellow and white (as well as red and grey)! Funny how things loop back.

We'll be posting some more about the history of Noboto and Gobon this week, along with old sketches and assorted blocks of information. A list will be posted for what will be available on the 28th as well, which will only be 6 figures deep.

I can't believe that the pictures up there even exist after so many years in the making.

It's thanks to you that they do.

20 comments:

  1. You're killin' me, Doughty, you're killin' me! Feels like we just recovered from the last drop. Oh well. I think I can spare a couple bucks for that Standard Noboto! Looks real good, and kinda tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow...beautiful! Really, really looking forward to these guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those colors are really cool. At first, I was just excited to see Noboto and Gobon together and didn't really think about the colors. I goota say that they're pretty neat, they'll definitely stand out on the shelf with the rest of the collection. Can't wait to see more of the history and back-story.

      Is the red/grey Gobon something to look forward to?

      Congratulations on the anniversaries!!!

      Delete
  3. Yesssssssssss I was hoping this would be standard Noboto colors over the yellow with green head. Wonderful. Absolutely delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations you two! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the dual anniversaries! The upcoming figures look great... that Gobon feels like a blast from the not-so-distant past. Looking forward to many more years of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i said it looks like vanilla, butter is Jesse's warp packs.
    Can't wait for Michelle's comic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really looking forward to these... I've wanted the truly standard Gobon since the formative chunk of plastic first started showing up! and I love everything about Noboto... though I keep getting him confused with Nobotos... unless they are the same character

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me so happy. And congratulations on both anniversaries! This is one heck of a way to celebrate it, that's for sure: two beautiful figures, representing so much in such tiny packages.

    As a side note: will this also allow for the yellow-suited, green-headed Noboto to be released as a colorway as well? The MVR Standard is, hands-down, my favorite, but it'd be cool to see the other bits and pieces get used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gobon returns - yey!!!!!! Many congrats on your anniversaries - and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dex showed this entry to me last night but I didn't get a chance to comment until now. I'm excited for this release, it's got to be satisfying to finally get these two characters out together & in their traditional colors. I know I'm down for buying this pair for sure. :-D

    And congratulations on the Dual Anniversaries Matt & Michelle. It's crazy to think that my wife Beth & I celebrated 6 years of dating each other on the same day as your wedding anniversary AND the same month Glyos was created. So 6 years ago there was a lot of things going on.

    Still so surreal to think as Glyos as past-tense. I still remember meeting you at Toy Fair 2009 & taking my 1st Buildman around with me everywhere. It was only 6 years ago, but that's planted firmly in my nostalgia now. So kudos gang for 6 years & here's to another 6. Who knows what you'll be making by that point. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be an awesome way to end my vacation.
    Congratulations guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many congrats all around, these are a long-awaited and much welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hokey smokes! Those are beautiful, a color palette tailored to Cappy's tastes (it seems. Speaking of taste: "'butter', 'pistachio' and 'caramel' mix" -- now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nom nom nom*
      Okay, better now. And I've got to add that Gobon looks very smart after his sabbatical. Nice and smooth, is he? What a way to make a grand return!

      Delete
  14. I think I'm cursed, I have missed every drop aside from the last one since the TASK FORCE VOLKRIUN drop due to drop days falling on the same weekends as backpacking trips. I'm seriously tempted to cut my trip short to get in on this one. Congratulations on the anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the anniversaries!
    These guys look great together again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary all the way around, and I am loving these colors!

    Noboto looks quite dapper in his seafoam green 1960's era alien space suit. And don't forget to accessorize with matching gloves, boots, belt and backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just realized, how close is that "caramel" color to the old Rig Corps brown?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on both anniversaries.

    I'm looking forward to this next small release.

    ReplyDelete